Raised By The Fork: Puckett’s Women Build :: Habitat For Humanity

This is written May 13, 2015, by Director of Operations Claire Crowell in her blog Raised by the Fork.

Habitat For Humanity

A couple of weeks ago, Puckett’s teamed up with our local Habitat for Humanity chapter to do a Women Build — a national program where women help raise money and build homes for other women. Habitat’s goal for this program is to engage more ladies and get them active on build sites, build their confidence, and learn new skills along the way. Our home build was in Fairview, TN, where they have already built almost an entire little neighborhood of Habitat homes.

I personally have never done anything like this, and I think it goes without saying it was so much fun! Our task for the day was to put up the siding, from start to finish. We got to cut the boards down to size, make the corner pieces, and put them all up.

Read the rest of the post here.

Columbia Launching “Untapped” Craft Beer Tasting Series

Puckett's Untapped

Calling all beer lovers! We’ve got some news that’s sure to make y’all veryyy hoppy (see what we did there?). 

Next Thursday, April 16 at 6:00 p.m., Puckett’s in downtown Columbia is launching “Untapped”– a monthly craft brew tasting series that’s for everyone, from the connoisseur to the novice!

Every third Thursday, guests will try five featured craft beers and enjoy an array of exclusively paired appetizers. Plus, you’ll learn a little somethin’ too–we’ve partnered with our friends over at Wild Hare Beer Co., a local brewery in Spring Hill that offers a variety of handcrafted ales, porters and stouts. An expert from their staff will be on hand at each Untapped event to educate y’all on the intricacies of craft brewing and the world of beer.

Our first tasting will explore brews that are infused with subtle, seasonal flavors including a dark stout from Tennessee Brew Works Country Roots, that finishes with notes of roasted local sweet potatoes and hints of coffee and dark chocolate. Abita Strawberry Harvest–an exceptional lager from Louisiana–will also be featured with a focus on its refreshingly fruity, springtime qualities.

Tickets are $15 per person and limited seating is available, so give us a call now to reserve your spot at (931) 490-4550! Learn more about Columbia’s Untapped tasting series by visiting their Facebook page at facebook.com/puckettscolumbia

PBH Apalachicola Oysters [high res]

50 Pearls Discovered in Boat House Oyster

So how’s this for a lucky day?

One sweet lady was feasting on oysters at Puckett’s Boat House on Thursday, and dove into her last oyster. And when she did………

50 PEARLS SPILLED OUT! Yes, fifty. Crazy stuff. And this has gone viral! We’re talking ABC News and Eater–and it’s jumped the Atlantic to The Daily Mail.

We’ve been getting asked: yes, of course we let her keep her pearls! We hope she does something pretty with them. And nope: these are NOT farm-raised oysters. All our oysters at the Boat House are freshly harvested from the Gulf Coast.

Anyhoo: Talk about flashing those pearly whites. We’ll have what she’s having, from here on out!

Learn more about this discovery and the Boat House here (or watch the ABC video below to catch the full story):

ABC Breaking US News | US News Videos

Andy Marshall with Nashville Business Journal

Winner, Winner: NBJ’s “Best in Business!” [WOW]

by Claire Marshall Crowell
Director of Operations of A. Marshall Family Foods Inc.
Raised by the Fork

This past week we experienced an incredibly proud moment for our family business. We were one of the finalists in the Nashville Business Journal’s Best in Business Awards, in the 101-500 employees category, and attended the awards luncheon with some of our key employees on Thursday.

I want to first remark how amazing it is to me to be included at all; secondly, that we are now in the 101-500 employees category. Puckett’s started over 15 years ago with no more than 10 employees. In the last five years, that number has grown from about 50 to well over 300. It’s astounding to think about.

As we watched the videos for all the finalists, we were so impressed by the diversity and achievements of our colleagues…. But when they called A. Marshall Family Foods Inc. as the winner of the 2015 Best in Business Award, I nearly fell out of my seat.

I cannot tell you how proud I am of my father and what our business has accomplished these past few years. Even more than that though, I am so excited for what’s ahead of us [more on that here and here].

Read Andy’s NBJ profile + Q&A here, or watch their videos about him below:

IMAG0277

The A. Marshall team, ready to celebrate!

About Claire Marshall Crowell

A Tennessee native, Claire grew up in the grocery and restaurant business: her father, Andy Marshall, owned a string of Piggly Wiggly stores before purchasing Puckett’s in Leiper’s Fork, Tenn., when she was 11 years old.

Today, Claire serves as the Director of Operations for A. Marshall Family Foods Inc. She helps manage operations of Puckett’s Gro. & Restaurant locations in downtown Franklin, downtown Nashville, downtown Columbia, and downtown Chattanooga (opening spring 2015); Puckett’s Boat House in downtown Franklin; Puckett’s Trolley, the brand’s mobile food venue; Homestead Manor in Thompson Station (opening spring 2015); and Puckett’s Events & Catering.

Claire is involved in various industry and community organizations, and recently launched her own lifestyle blog: Raised by the Fork, which offers a look inside the crazy world of A. Marshall Family Foods Inc., the hospitality industry, and life as a devoted and working mother. Follow along here!

American Idol viewing party - Puckett's

American Idol Viewing Party: Let’s Help These Two Win!

If you’ve ever experienced Puckett’s, then you know all about the live pickin’ performances that take place just a few feet from your table. Music is just as much engrained in our culture as the cooking… you can’t separate the music from the menu here. And you know, it never ceases to amaze us the talent that climbs up on our stage and wows the Puckett’s crowds each night.

That’s why we’re glowin’ with pride–but certainly not surprised–that not one, but TWO hometown vocalists from Maury County have advanced to the Top 24 of American Idol XIV! A big ole congratulations to SARINA-JOI CROWE of Columbia, TN and to RILEY BRIA of Spring Hill, TN. This is big news y’all. Middle Tennessee is clearly the creative hub of the country–but we already knew that.

To encourage these local singer-songwriters and support them as they continue their journey (after all, that’s what we do best!), Puckett’s Columbia has put together two special viewing parties this week to rally the community and push our people to the top. Y’all join at the Columbia restaurant on Wednesday, Feb. 25 and Thursday, Feb. 26 for themed cocktails and appetizers, and a lively viewing party of American Idol! The doors will open at 6 p.m., and the show begins at 7 p.m.

On Wednesday, the Top 12 guys (that’s Riley!) will take the stage for the very first time in hopes of winning over viewers– who will then vote for the first time this season. On Thursday, the Top 12 girls (that’s Sarina-Joi!) will do the same. Whether they advance depends on the public and their votes!

We’re projecting the rounds on a big screen both evenings, and will be encouraging guests to get out those phones to tweet + text in their votes for these two! Plus, we’ve invited the families of each contestant and will be sure to give them VIP seating.

So let’s do this y’all: let’s get together, eat together, watch and vote together…. and see one of ‘em win the dang thing!  Call (931) 490-4550 RIGHT NOW to reserve your seat for Wednesday and Thursday! #PuckettsLove #IdolTop24